They may be small enough to fit on the head of a pin, but we all know that fleas and ticks can be the cause of major problems for both dogs and their owners. In one day, a flea can attack you cat or dog by biting them more than 400 times, consuming more than its body weight of your pets blood. And before its finished, a female flea can lay hundreds of eggs on your unsuspecting furry friend, making him the unsuspecting host of many future flea generations! As a result, itching and scratching from flea bites can lead to skin irritations, open sores and even fur loss. And let’s not forget about ticks! Tick bites aren’t just irritating; they may cause allergic reactions as well as transmit disease such as Lyme Disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever. And ticks can give the same infections to you!
Here are a few tips to help prevent flea and tick infestations on your furry friends:
- Keep dogs on a leash when walking or hiking;
- Comb your pet with a flea comb regularly;
- Vacuum often and dispose of bags immediately after use;
- Mow areas of the lawn where your dog spends time;
- Wash pet bedding weekly and bathe your pet with a pet shampoo recommended by your veterinarian;
- If your dog spends time in wooded areas, hand-check for ticks often;
- Mark your calendars for regular application of flea and tick treatments;
- Also, flea and tick collars provide long-lasting protection against fleas and ticks with no mess and no fuss!
- Add a teaspoon of Grapefruit Seed Oil to your pets water once a week;
- Brewer’s yeast is also a common natural remedy for dogs with fleas. Holistic veterinarian Richard Pitcairn recommends it for that purpose. It is thought to work against fleas because it contains sulfur compounds that make your dog less palatable to fleas;
- Add no more than 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar into a large bowl of water. Or Make a spray of 50% ACV and 50% water and spray onto your dogs coat. Make sure to avoid their eyes!
- And Red Cedar shavings and bedding help prevent fleas and ticks as well. The aroma of Cedar oil overwhelms the breathing system of fleas and ticks and causes them to die almost immediately!
Keep in mind that regular bathing and grooming is also key for a healthy pet!